ARE YOU READY FOR A JOB INSUSTAINABLE CONSTRUCTION? Certificate of Specialization (CS)
For construction professionals: add the principles of sustainability to your skill set.
Pursuing an entry level position? Sustainable construction is on the leading edge of modern construction.
Evening classes: designed to accommodate working professionals.
- The STLCC Advantage
The principles of sustainable construction are considered to be the future of modern construction, and this course provides the knowledge and skills that are required. Learn to:
- Use core concepts and strategies to build, construct and maintain tomorrow’s buildings, while reducing their impact on the environment.
- Read and analyze construction drawings and other documents, evaluate building materials, examine building systems and apply the principles and practices of sustainability to decision-making processes in all phase of construction.
- Apply sustainable construction principles to new construction and the retrofitting of old buildings.
Small class size and a focus on hands-on activity.
Faculty: STLCC is a longtime leader in the Construction Management field, and you’ll learn from seasoned professionals. All of our instructors worked in the industry and bring that experience to the classroom.
Stackable: Once you’ve earned a certificate of specialization in Sustainable Construction, your credits can apply towards your Construction Management Technology AAS degree.
Convenience: More than 90% of our students attend classes part-time while working during the day, so technical courses are offered in the evening.
More than one million students have attended STLCC. It’s the largest institute of higher education in the region, and the second largest in Missouri.
To find out if STLCC is right for you, we invite you to visit. You can meet with one of our faculty members, tour the campus, and get answers to questions. Click Here
- Career Opportunities
- Construction Managers
- State and Local Public Works Departments
- Construction Companies
“Recent updates to Building Codes have included a strong focus on sustainable construction methods, materials and practices. As economic conditions strengthen, a workforce trained in sustainable construction will be necessary to be able to comply with building codes and compete in the construction marketplace. This program is a critical part of that process. Students with this education will become a highly valuable asset to construction industry employers!”
-Matt Belcher, Belcher Homes
- For information on the job outlook, visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics and search specific job titles. Also available: information on median pay, entry-level education, number of jobs and more.
- To learn about the top openings in specific cities across Missouri visit the Missouri Economic Research and Information Center.
- For specific real-time information on wages and job prospects in the STLCC region, visit STLCC Career Coach
- Estimated Expenses and Financial Aid
STLCC provides a top quality education at a much more affordable cost than for-profit institutions.
- St. Louis Community College provides a comprehensive financial aid program funded by federal, state and private agencies. READ MORE
- STLCC provides a Net Price Calculator to help students estimate costs. READ MORE
- For information on STLCC Scholarships READ MORE.
- For more information on expenses incurred as part of this program, please contact the program coordinator.
- FAFSA Apply Online
- Students and Faculty
- Program Curriculum and RAP
Sustainable Construction (CS) 14 Credits
Total Credits for Program: 14
CE:115 Construction Materials and Methods 3 CE:116 Blueprint Reading 3 CE:118 Sustainable Construction 2 GE:163 Construction Documents and Communication 2 ME:261 Building Systems—A Holistic Approach 3
Course offerings depend on adequate enrollment.
Please note: Credits earned in STLCC’s Engineering Technology AAS, CS and CP programs generally do not transfer to engineering bachelor degree programs. If your career goal is to be an engineer, please consider STLCC’s Engineering Science AS degree. Credits earned as part of STLCC’s Engineering Science AS degree transfer to universities nationwide, and provide a strong foundation for future study in a variety of engineering disciplines a fraction of the cost of a public university.
We invite you to meet with an STLCC advisor for one-on-one help in planning your pathway to this rewarding career. Click Here
- Additional Information
STLCC’s Civil Engineering Advisory Board brings together top industry professionals. Members serve for two year terms, and STLCC’S faculty works hand-in-hand with this elite group to evaluate and update our curriculum, stay up-to-date on the latest innovations, and promote networking.
Responding to the needs of the local market: STLCC’s Emerson Center for Engineering and Manufacturing was created to develop a skilled workforce for the region’s engineering and manufacturing sector. If your business has workforce needs that are not met by our credit course offerings, please contact us to discuss additional options: EmersonCenter@stlcc.edu
The Sustainable Construction program is offered at our Florissant Valley campus. In addition students may take general education classes toward this degree at any of our four campuses, our five education centers, and online.