ARE YOU READY FOR A JOB INSURGICAL TECHNOLOGY? Certificate of Proficiency (CP)
Certificate of Proficiency in Surgical Technology is a 42-credit-hour program that prepares students for entry-level positions as surgical technologists. Students learn aseptic technique, instrumentation, surgical procedures and patient care through classroom, laboratory and clinical practice.
Under the direct supervision of the surgeon, surgical technologists prepare the operating room, assist in positioning the patient, and assemble instruments and equipment for each procedure. During the operation, technologists aid the surgeon by passing instruments and sutures. They also position lights, operate diagnostic equipment and transport patients.
Graduates are qualified to take the National Certifying Examination offered by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting.
Persons interested in surgical technology should be:
- Able to work as part of a team
- Able to handle instruments and equipment with good manual dexterity
- Able to function effectively under stress
- Emotionally stable
- Neat and clean
- Able to move rapidly without getting in another’s way
- Able to accept criticism and guidance
- Physically able to remain in standing positions for long periods
- MTH:030 Elementary Algebra or MTH 040 Elementary Algebra & Basic Math or score above MTH:030 on the assessment test or one year of high school algebra.
- BIO:203 Microbiology
- BIO:207 Anatomy and Physiology I
- Math and science prerequisites with a grade of “C” or better.
- Math and science prerequisites must be completed within five calendar years of admission to the program.
- Reading Proficiency
- GPA of 2.25 or better
Admitting Semester: Fall
Number Admitted: 25
Length of Program: 1 year (Upon admission to program)
Request Curriculum change in the Admissions Office once all requirements are met for this program.
- Career Opportunities
- For information on the job outlook in the surgical technology profession, visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and search specific job titles. Also available: information on median pay, entry-level education, number of jobs and more.
- To learn about the top openings in specific cities across Missouri visit the Missouri Economic Research and Information Center.
- For specific real-time information on wages and job prospects in the STLCC region, visit STLCC Career Coach.
- Program Curriculum
Surgical Technology (CP) 42 Credits
The following courses must be completed prior to
applying for the program.
MTH:030 Elementary Algebra BIO:203 General Microbiology BIO:207 Anatomy and Physiology I Program Total: 42 credits BIO:208 Anatomy and Physiology II 4 ENG:101 College Composition I 3 PSY:200 General Psychology (or) SOC:101 Introduction to Sociology 3 ST:104 Pharmacology for Surgical Technologists 2 ST:105 Fundamentals of Surgical Technology 4 ST:108 Introduction to Surgical Technology 6 ST:109 Principles of Operating Room Communication 2 ST:110 Surgical Procedures I 4 ST:111 Surgical Technology Clinical I 8 ST:210 Surgical Procedures II 2 ST:211 Surgical Technology Clinical II 4
- Additional Information
The Surgical Technology program is offered at our Forest Park campus. Students may take general education classes toward this degree at any of our four campuses, our five education centers, and online.