ARE YOU READY FOR A JOB IN
MEDICAL BILLING AND CODING?
Certificate of Proficiency (CP)
Fast-paced: The increasing need for skilled health information technology/medical billing and coding professionals in a fast paced, changing workplace offers career opportunities.
Salaries: The need for health care IT infrastructure upgrades demands skilled workers can offer higher pay.
Revolutionary: Healthcare IT is revolutionizing the way patient care is delivered.
Upon graduation, students receive a Certificate of Proficiency in Medical Billing and Coding.
This 48-credit-hour program prepares you for entry-level positions as a medical billing specialist, medical coder, claims examiner, healthcare reimbursement specialist and health insurance specialist.
You will learn diagnosis and procedure coding standards and processes. You also will be prepared for the American Health Information Management Association’s Certified Coding Specialist (CSS) and Certified Coding Associate (CCA) certifications, and the Healthcare Reimbursement Specialist (HRS) credential offered by the National Electronic Billers Alliance (NEBA).
The certificate program complies with the American Health Information Management Association’s (AHIMA) coding education curriculum guidelines and provides the foundation to pursue additional study in Health Information Technology.
This program is accredited through the AHIMA.
You gain hands-on learning experience in dedicated labs and classrooms, featuring a one-to-one equipment ratio, which optimizes skill development.
Classes are taught by certified instructors.
Evening and online courses are available. This program is geared toward students with full-time jobs.
- Gather, process, document/record information
- Keep current with technical knowledge
- Evaluate information to determine compliance with standards
- Analyze data or information
- Identify objects, actions and events, and detect changes
- Monitor and review processes, materials or surroundings
- Solve problems
More than one million students have attended STLCC. It’s the largest institute of higher education in the region and the second largest in Missouri.
To find out if STLCC is right for you, we invite you to visit. You can meet with one of our faculty members, tour the campus, and get answers to any questions you might have. Click Here
- Health Information Clerk
- Health Information Specialist
- Health Information Technician
- Medical Records Analyst
- Medical Records Clerk
- Medical Records Coordinator
- Medical Records Director
- Medical Records Technician
- Registered Health Information Technician
Graduates of this program can work in a variety of healthcare settings, and are not limited to employment in technology fields.
Companies that have hired STLCC graduates
- BJC Healthcare
- SSM Healthcare
- St. Luke’s Hospital
- Area Physician Offices
- Area Healthcare Companies
- For information on the job outlook, visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics and search specific job titles. Also available: information on median pay, entry-level education, number of jobs and more.
- To learn about the top openings in specific cities across Missouri visit the Missouri Economic Research and Information Center.
- STLCC Career and Employment Services (CES): On each campus CES offices provide services and resources to assist students and alumni in finding full-time or part-time, on-campus or off-campus, internship or co-op, permanent, seasonal or temporary employment. CES also assists employers who are looking for qualified applicants. Click Here
STLCC provides a top quality education at a much more affordable cost than for-profit institutions.
- For information on STLCC Scholarships READ MORE
- FAFSA Apply online
- St. Louis Community College provides a comprehensive financial aid program funded by federal, state and private agencies. READ MORE
- STLCC provides a Net Price Calculatorto help students estimate costs. READ MORE
Patricia Sherman, M.Ed., RHIA
- All applicants for Health Information Technology program must first be admitted to St. Louis Community College.
- Applications for this program are accepted continuously throughout the year.
Prior to application we recommend that you meet with an STLCC academic advisor. The advisor can help you plan your courses, clarify program requirements, and review your academic history as it relates to this program. Click Here
Health Information Technology AAS
STLCC’s Information System’s Advisory Board brings together top industry professionals. Companies that participate:
Area Physician Offices