ARE YOU READY FOR A JOB IN
Associate in Applied Science (AAS)
Become a part of this exciting, fast-paced, ever-evolving field.
Gain hands-on experience in multiple media.
Prepare for a career in newspapers, magazines, radio, film, television, public relations and advertising, and online, social and corporate communications.
Learn print and digital production, photography, layout/design, copywriting and advertising essentials while working on STLCC’s three student newspapers.
Master acting for the camera, television production, video production, camera operation and light and sound board operation in one of STLCC’s campus television studios.
Get on-air, real-world experience and learn how to run a radio show and station at the Florissant Valley campus’s FCC-licensed radio station.
Transfer Mass Communications credits in pursuit of a bachelor’s degree.
More than one million students have attended STLCC. It’s the largest institute of higher education in the region, and the second largest in Missouri.
To find out if STLCC is right for you, we invite you to visit. You can meet with one of our faculty members, tour the campus, and get answers to questions. Click Here
- Independent Film-Maker
- Radio/Television Broadcaster
- Public Relations Assistant
- Advertising Assistant
- Marketing/ Promotions Assistant
- Radio Stations
- Television Networks
- Advertising Agencies
- Public Relations Firms
- Online Publications
STLCC Career and Employment Services (CES): On each campus CES offices provide services and resources to assist students and alumni in finding full-time or part-time, on-campus or off-campus, internship or co-op, permanent, seasonal or temporary employment. CES also assists employers who are looking for qualified applicants. CLICK HERE
- For information on the job outlook, visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics and search specific job titles. Also available: information on median pay, entry-level education, number of jobs and more.
- To learn about the top openings in specific cities across Missouri, visit the Missouri Economic Research and Information Center.
- For specific real-time information on wages and job prospects in the STLCC region, visit STLCC Career Coach.
STLCC provides a top quality education at a much more affordable cost than other institutions.
- St. Louis Community College provides a comprehensive financial aid program funded by federal, state and private agencies. READ MORE
- STLCC provides a Net Price Calculator to help students estimate costs. READ MORE
- For information on STLCC Scholarships READ MORE.
- FAFSA Apply online
Renee Thomas-Woods, M.A.
Susan Hunt-Bradford, M.A.
Mass Communications (AAS) 64 Credits
|Program Total||64 Credits|
|I. Career General Education||27-28 credits|
|COM:101||Oral Communication I (or)|
|ENG:101||College Composition I||3|
|ENG:102||College Composition II||3|
|XXX:xxx||Math or Science Elective||6|
|XXX:xxx||Missouri State Requirement||3|
|ECO:140||Introduction to Economics||3|
|MCM:102||Media Literacy (or)|
|II. Physical Education Activity||2 credits|
|III. Area of Concentration||27-28 credits|
|MCM:101||Introduction to Mass Communications||3|
|MCM:110||Journalism I: Writing and Reporting||3|
|MCM:124||Radio Production (or)|
|MUS:150||Fundamentals of Music Technology||2-3|
|MCM:121||Television Production (or)|
|MCM:126||Video Production – Field||3|
|MCM:143||Convergence Media Production (or)|
|ART:125||Introduction to Interactive Design I||3|
|MCM:140||Introduction to Advertising||3|
|MCM:113||Applied Journalism (or)|
|MCM:122||Applied Broadcasting (or)|
|MCM:142||Applied Advertising (or)|
|MCM:211||Applied Public Relations||3|
|MCM:201||Workplace Learning I: Media||3|
|MCM:221||Media Portfolio Review||1|
|IV. Electives||6-8 credits|
|COM:111||Voice and Articulation||3|
|MCM:111||Journalism II: Editing and Design||3|
|MCM:115||Acting for the Camera||3|
|MCM:120||Introduction to Broadcasting||3|
|MCM:125||Scriptwriting for Television and Film||3|
|MCM:127||Video Production – Studio||3|
|MCM:213||Advanced Video Production||3|
|MCM:220||Advanced Audio Production||3|
|MUS:154||Music Recording with Pro Tools I||2|
|MUS:254||Music Recording with Pro Tools II||2|
We invite you to meet with an STLCC advisor for one-on-one help in planning your pathway to this rewarding career. CLICK HERE
STLCC’s Mass Communications Advisory Board brings together top industry professionals.
Members serve for two-year terms, and STLCC’S faculty works hand-in-hand with this elite group to evaluate and update our curriculum, stay up-to-date on the latest innovations, and promote networking.
- National Broadcast Society
- American Association of Advertising Agencies
- Public Relations Society of America
- Ad Club of St. Louis
- Society of Professional Journalists
- Media Communications Association
- International Association of Business Communicators
- Online News Association
- Press Club
The Mass Communications program is offered at our Florissant Valley, Forest Park and Meramec campuses. Students may take general education classes toward this degree at any of our four campuses, our five education centers, and online.