ARE YOU READY FOR A JOB IN
Certificate of Proficiency (CP)
Certificate of Proficiency in Housing Inspection is a 33-credit-hour program that provides training for individuals seeking positions in municipal government and private firms. In general, the housing inspector performs inspections on existing homes to ensure they meet local and national codes.
This program provides in-service training for current building inspectors and code enforcement officials and prepares students for entry-level employment. Students will learn to approve architectural plans and specifications, award work permits and inspect new construction as it progresses. They will become knowledgeable in inspection techniques, soils, architectural materials, plumbing and electrical systems, heating and ventilation systems and municipal fire safety regulations.
Graduates are qualified for positions as building inspectors and code enforcement officials with municipal governments, national and state agencies and private firms.
According to the U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of construction and building inspectors is expected to grow faster than average for most occupations through 2014.
Persons interested in this program should possess:
- An interest in mechanical operations
- The ability to work with and pursue small details
- The ability to read and interpret technical documents and construction drawings and specifications
Graduates of this program are employed by:
- Municipal governments
- National and state agencies
- Private firms
Jobs in this field are expected to grow up to 18 percent by 2016, according to the U.S. Occupational Outlook Handbook.
- For information on the job outlook, visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics and search specific job titles. Also available: information on median pay, entry-level education, number of jobs and more.
- To learn about the top openings in specific cities across Missouri visit the Missouri Economic Research and Information Center.
- St. Louis Community College provides a comprehensive financial aid program funded by federal, state and private agencies. READ MORE
- STLCC provides a Net Price Calculator to help students estimate costs. READ MORE
- For information on STLCC Scholarships READ MORE
- For more information on expenses incurred as part of this program, please contact the program coordinator.
- FAFSA Apply online
Housing Inspection (CP) 33 Credits
|Program Total: 33 credits|
|BIC:101||Basic Building Inspection Techniques||3|
|BIC:102||Housing Inspection and Programs||3|
|BIC:103||Building Codes and Ordinances||3|
|BIC:104||Housing Inspection Problems||3|
|BIC:200||Plumbing and Mechanical Inspection||4|
|COM:101||Oral Communication I||3|
|ENG:101||College Composition I||3|
|FIR:105||Inspection and Fire Prevention||3|
|SOC:101||Introduction to Sociology||3|
Course offerings depend on adequate enrollment.
We invite you to meet with an STLCC advisor for one-on-one help in planning your pathway to this rewarding career. Click Here
The Building Inspection and Code Enforcement Technology: Housing Inspection Option CP program is offered at our Forest Park campus. In addition students may take general education classes toward this degree at any of our four campuses, our five education centers, and online.