ARE YOU READY FOR A JOB INFUNERAL DIRECTING? Certificate of Specialization (CS)
Two Semesters: Earn your certificate of specialization in as few as eight months.
Online and night classes: Keep your full time job while you study.
Only at STLCC: This is the only such certificate program offered in Missouri.
- The STLCC Advantage
Approved by the Missouri State Board of Embalmers and Funeral Directors: The only program of its kind offered in the state of Missouri.
Licensure: Graduates are eligible to sit for the Missouri licensing examination as well as those of other states with similar licensing regulations.
Focus solely on funeral directing: This nontechnical certificate is geared toward the business and public relations aspects of operating a funeral home, and does not include courses in embalming.
Convenience: All classes are offered online, and evening classes are also available.
Stackable: Credits also apply toward your Funeral Service Education AAS — earn this certificate while working toward your degree.
Qualify for entry-level employment in Missouri funeral establishments, where you’ll use helping and planning skills to assist families who are coping with grief. The successful funeral director combines thoughtful compassion with sound business practice.
More than one million students have attended STLCC. It’s the largest institute of higher education in the region, and the second largest in Missouri.
To find out if STLCC is right for you, we invite you to visit. You can meet with one of our faculty members, tour the campus, and get answers to questions. Click Here
- Career Opportunities
- For information on the job outlook in the funeral directing profession, visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and search specific job titles. Also available: information on median pay, entry-level education, number of jobs and more.
- To learn about the top openings in specific cities across Missouri visit the Missouri Economic Research and Information Center.
- For specific real-time information on wages and job prospects in the STLCC region, visit STLCC Career Coach.
- Estimated Expenses and Financial Aid
- Quality and Cost: STLCC provides a top quality education at a much more affordable cost than for-profit institutions.
- St. Louis Community College provides a comprehensive financial aid program funded by federal, state and private agencies. READ MORE
- STLCC provides a Net Price Calculator to help students estimate costs. READ MORE
- For information on STLCC Scholarships READ MORE
- FAFSA Apply online
- Students and Faculty
- Program Curriculum and Related Programs
Funeral Directing - 27 Credits
Program Total: 27 credits ACC:100 Applied Accounting 3 COM:101 Oral Communication I 3 FD:101 Funeral Management/Merchandising 6 FD:102 Funeral Service Psychology 3 FD:103 History of Funeral Service 3 FD:104 Funeral Service Law 3 IS:103 Information Systems for Business 3 SOC:101 Introduction to Sociology 3
Please Note: This academic program is designed to meet specific state or professional needs. It is not accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education (3432 Ashland Avenue, Suite U, St. Joseph, MO 64506, Office: 816-233-3747, www.abfse.org). Students graduating from this program are not eligible to take the National Board Examination or any state board examination for which graduation from an American Board of Funeral Service Education (ABFSE) accredited program is required.
Interested candidates might also consider STLCC’s Funeral Service Education program which offers an AAS degree and has been granted candidacy status by the American Board of Funeral Service Education (ABFSE).
We invite you to meet with an STLCC advisor for one-on-one help in planning your pathway to this rewarding career. Click Here
Funeral Service Education
- Additional Information
An Advisory Board of funeral directors, embalmers, members of the Missouri State Board of Embalmers and Funeral Directors, and officers of the Missouri Funeral Directors and Embalmers Association works with St. Louis Community College at Forest Park to ensure that the curriculum keeps pace with the employment requirements of the field.
The Funeral Directing program is offered at our Forest Park campus. However, for added convenience, students may take general education classes toward this degree at any of our four campuses, our five education centers, and online.