ARE YOU READY FOR A JOB INEMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY? Certificate of Specialization (CS)
Certificate of Specialization in Emergency Medical Technology is a 16-credit-hour program that is required for entry-level EMT employment. The Certificate of Specialization is available at William J. Harrison Education Center only.
The Emergency Medical Technology program at St. Louis Community College provides students with the necessary skills to perform basic life support and some advance procedures in emergency situations. Graduates of this program are eligible to sit for state and national licensing boards.
EMTs are skilled in patient assessment and recognition of diagnostic signs and symptoms of major injuries and illnesses. They also learn to use ambulance, rescue vehicle and hospital emergency room equipment.
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, employment for emergency medical technicians is expected to grow much faster than average. The department states that the growth will be due to population increases and urbanization.
Persons interested in emergency medical technology should possess:
- Maturity in dealing with others and co-workers
- Manual dexterity
- Physical coordination
- Ability to give and receive written and verbal directions
- Have good vision and visual color discrimination for examining patients
- American Heart Association Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) for Health Care Providers
- Reading Proficiency
Student should score at the following:
ENG:030 Introduction to College Writing 3
Admitting Semester: Fall/Spring/Summer
Number Admitted: 30
Length of Program: 1 semester
- Career Opportunities
- For information on the job outlook in the emergency medical technology profession, visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and search specific job titles. Also available: information on median pay, entry-level education, number of jobs and more.
- To learn about the top openings in specific cities across Missouri visit the Missouri Economic Research and Information Center.
- For specific real-time information on wages and job prospects in the STLCC region, visit STLCC Career Coach.
- Program Curriculum
Emergency Medical Technology (CS) 16 Credits
Certificate of Specialization
Program Total: 16 credits EMT:121 Emergency Care, Principles and
10 EMT:122 Emergency Medical Technology Internship 6 *EMT:121 meets all of the current requirements for Missouri State EMT-B licensure. It includes the assessment and care of the sick and injured, pediatric and geriatric emergencies, childbirth, vehicle extrication, defibrillation, hazardous material situations and the use of adjunctive EMS equipment. An emergency medical internship is included.
- Additional Information
The Emergency Medical Technology program is offered at our William J. Harrison Education Center campus, as well as online. Students may take general education classes toward this degree at any of our four campuses, our five education centers, and online.