ARE YOU READY FOR A JOB IN
BUILDING INSPECTION AND CODE ENFORCEMENT TECHNOLOGY?
Associate in Applied Science (AAS)
Certificate of Proficiency (CP)
Train for a new career by building on your construction experience.
STLCC offers the ONLY AAS in Building Inspection and Code Enforcement in Missouri.
Currently employed? Degree options and evening classes make it convenient to update your skill set.
Choose the degree option that fits your career goals:
- Associate in Applied Science Degree in Building Inspection and Code Enforcement Technology
- Accelerate your career by formalizing your academic credentials
- 68-credit-hour program
- Managerial training
- Communication skills
- Updated knowledge of building code requirements
- Certificate of Proficiency in Building Inspection and Code Enforcement Technology
- 32-credit-hour program
- Designed for current building inspectors, code enforcement officials, and individuals with experience in the construction industry
- Students learn to approve architectural plans and specifications, award work permits and inspect new construction as it progresses
- Additionally, students become knowledgeable in inspection techniques, soils, architectural materials, plumbing and electrical systems, heating and ventilation systems, and municipal fire safety regulations
- Credits apply toward your AAS
- Certificate of Proficiency in Building Inspection and Code Enforcement Technology – Housing Inspection Option
- 33-credit-hour program
- Housing inspectors perform inspections on existing homes to ensure they meet local and national codes
- This program is specifically designed for those in the housing inspection field, enabling you to formalize your credential and update your knowledge of code requirements
- Credits apply toward your AAS
Small class size and a focus on hands-on activity.
Master the skills necessary for future career success. The STLCC curriculum helps students improve their written and oral communication skills, key factors in career advancement.
Faculty: STLCC is a longtime leader in the fields of civil engineering and construction, and you’ll learn from seasoned professionals. All of our instructors worked in the industry and bring that experience to the classroom.
Stackable: If you’ve earned a certificate of specialization in Building Inspection and Code Enforcement Technology or Building Inspection and Code Enforcement Technology: Housing Inspection Option, your credits can apply towards your AAS degree.
Convenience: Evening and day classes are available.
More than one million students have attended STLCC. It’s the largest institute of higher education in the region, and the second largest in Missouri.
To find out if STLCC is right for you, we invite you to visit. You can meet with one of our faculty members, tour the campus, and get answers to questions. Click Here
Graduates of this program are employed by:
- Municipal governments
- National and state agencies
- Private firms
Jobs in this field are expected to grow up to 18 percent by 2016, according to the U.S. Occupational Outlook Handbook.
- For information on the job outlook, visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics and search specific job titles. Also available: information on median pay, entry-level education, number of jobs and more.
- To learn about the top openings in specific cities across Missouri visit the Missouri Economic Research and Information Center.
- For specific real-time information on wages and job prospects in the STLCC region, visit STLCC Career Coach.
STLCC provides a top quality education at a much more affordable cost than for-profit institutions.
- St. Louis Community College provides a comprehensive financial aid program funded by federal, state and private agencies. READ MORE
- STLCC provides a Net Price Calculator to help students estimate costs. READ MORE
- For information on STLCC Scholarships READ MORE
- For more information on expenses incurred as part of this program, please contact the program coordinator.
- FAFSA Apply online
Building Inspection and Code Enforcement Technology (AAS, CP) 68 Credits
|ASSOCIATE IN APPLIED SCIENCE DEGREE|
|Program Total: 68 credits|
|I. Career General Education||24 credits|
|ENG:101||English Composition I||3|
|COM:101||Oral Communication I||3|
|MTH:124||Technical Mathematics I||3|
|PSI:101||Physical Sciences Lecture I||3|
|XXX:xxx||Missouri State Requirement||3|
|SOC:101||Introduction to Sociology||3|
|II. Physical Education Activity||2 credits|
|III. Area of Concentration||42 credits|
|BIC:101||Basic Building Inspection Techniques||3|
|BIC:103||Building Codes and Ordinances||3|
|BIC:200||Plumbing and Mechanical Inspection||4|
|BIC:202||Administration of Building Regulations||3|
|BIC:203||Plan Review I (Non-structural)||3|
|BIC:204||Plan Review II (Structural)||3|
|BIC:205||Soils, Grading and Waste Water Control||3|
|CE:116||Construction Blueprint Reading||3|
|FIR:105||Inspection and Fire Prevention||3|
|ME:243||Strength of Materials||3|
|MGT:204||Business Organization and Management||3|
|CERTIFICATE OF PROFICIENCY|
|Program Total: 32 credits|
|XXX:xxx||Building Inspection, or Fire Protection,
or Mechanical Engineering Electives
from AAS degrees
|XXX:xxx||Approved Electives from AAS degree||9|
Course offerings depend on adequate enrollment.
We invite you to meet with an STLCC advisor for one-on-one help in planning your pathway to this rewarding career. Click Here
The Building Inspection and Code Enforcement Technology AAS and CP programs are offered at our and Florissant Valley campuses. In addition, students may take general education classes toward this degree at any of our four campuses, our five education centers, and online.